Welcome to Year 1.
In English we are looking at the following texts by Julia Donaldson:
- Sharing a Shell
- Monkey Puzzle
- Description and labelling of settings
- Rhymes and riddles.
- Labels and captions
- Link to trip
- Hot seating of characters
- Role on the wall
- Recordings of children reading extracts
- Performing ‘I See a Tiger’ by Joy Acey
In maths we will be looking at:
- Numbers within 10 (including number bonds)
- Adding and subtracting
- Calculation strategies
- Looking at primary colours
- Mixing primary colours to make secondary colours
- Brush strokes
- Identifying animals
- Classification of animals
- Life cycles
- Food chains
- Identifying continents and oceans
- Physical and human features
- Countries within the UK
Year One’s PE days are on a Monday and Tuesday. Please bring in your PE kit on a Monday.
Our library session is on a Thursday afternoon. Please ensure your child’s library book remains in their book bag. We want our children to develop a love of reading for pleasure!
During the week your child will have a pre-read session and a guided read session. We focus on texts that vary from the ones your child brings home.
Please ensure your child’s reading book and record are in school every day. This enables us with more opportunities to read throughout the week with your child. We would appreciate if you would read a few times a week with your child at home and leave a comment in their reading record. Books should be left in the tray in the morning near the door.
The Phonics Screening Check takes place in June 2019. Throughout the year we will be helping children to develop their phonic knowledge in preparation for this.
Thank you for your continued support.
Miss Flaherty and Mrs Austin